The University Of Johannesburg (UJ) is a vibrant and cosmopolitan university, anchored in Africa, and dynamically shaping the future. In realising this vision, UJ embraces innovation and the collaborative pursuit of knowledge and strives towards global excellence and stature (GES). The embodiment of core values, such as independent thinking, meaningful engagement and sustainable development with a foundation deeply rooted in consistency and transparency, make the University an international institution of choice for GES. Through relevant processes of Senate and other groups at the University, UJ Council has supported a major catalytic initiative for the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR). The Initiative, envisioned by the Vice-Chancellor and Principal, Prof Tshilidzi Marwala, is to “position UJ in the Fourth Industrial Revolution within the context of the changing social, political and economic fortunes of Africa”.
- Implement a comprehensive internal communications strategy to support important institutional and development of digital media projects or/initiatives.
- Independently produce compelling content/stories for the University across various platforms, incorporating digital technologies.
- Plan a news diary and produce content for the monthly Students newsletter.
- Write the Vice-Chancellor’s weekly newsletter, in a style that reflets the University’s mission and vision statements and strategic objectives.
- Extend UJ’s media relationships and footprint with media targets reaching broader audiences that influence the University’s reputation.
- Independently produce and direct a variety of complex informational and promotional video/web/print/multimedia materials, using emerging tools to meet the diverse communication needs of the University.
- Develop and execute multimedia projects that incorporate all technical and media elements and production schedules
- Create content that motivates, inspires, educates, informs and simply, provides information, across a wide variety of digital platforms.
- Liaise with faculties/departments to produce content that showcase the University’s successes and achievements.
- Contribute to the University’s social media strategy and its presence across social media platforms.
- Working closely with the media manager, assist in the preparation of press releases for the mainstream media as well as managing and facilitating media related communication.
- Bachelor’s Degree/Diploma in Media and Communications or equivalent (NQF 7) level Qualification.
- At least Five (5) years working experience in a communication/media space.
- Competence in information technology, especially digital and video.
- An understanding of issues and trends in the Higher Education sector.
- A valid driver’s licence
- Willingness to work outside of office hours, including on public holidays, as and when required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Good storyteller who is able to work independently to identify and develop interesting stories incorporating social media, video and other emerging tools.
- Sound understanding of online, print and video publishing, with particular focus on enhancing the University’s standing and profile.
- Ability to manage own diary and deliver content on the deadline.
- A team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be self-motivated, be able to work independently and complete assignments/projects without supervision.
- Be able to liaise with internal and external stakeholders
- Report writing and presentation skills.
- Ability to communicate messages across multiple South African languages will be an advantage.
- Given that the position requires the use of social media to engage audiences, excellent command of the English language and live tweeting will be an advantage.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Be able to produce videos and use other emerging digital tools to meet the diverse communications needs of the university.
- Project management and problem-solving skills.