The University of Johannesburg (UJ) is a vibrant and cosmopolitan university, anchored in Africa and driven by a powerful strategy focused on attaining global excellence and stature (GES). With an emphasis on independent thinking, sustainable development and strategic partnerships, UJ is an international university of choice. The University is guided by the Vice-Chancellor’s vision of “Positioning UJ in the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) in the context of the changing social, political and economic fortunes of Africa”.
- Interpreting blueprints and drawing rough sketches as necessary
- Select the most appropriate course of action, given the project restrictions
- Choosing, installing, and securing the performance of wires, plugs, panel boards, switchgear, switchboards, and similar.
- Guide, mentor and supervise artisans/semi-skilled electricians
- Maintain professional, respectful, and timely service
- Lead, guide, and/or train other electricians in applicable procedures and techniques.
- Write reports on electrical maintenance, including inspections, test results, final situation prognosis, and steps to solve problems for each job or situation
- Ensure that required stock level are maintained
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
- Ensure that all routine electrical maintenance is planned and carried out within the set budget
- Compile and maintain a database of all electrical installation for record keeping
- Inspect all electrical installation after completion
- Plan electrical secondary system additions or modifications;
- Conduct checks, and perform reviews to recognise issues of concern;
- Install and monitor performance of installed electrical equipment for hazards, adjustments, or replacement;
- Provide temporary power supplies or stand-by power for special events or functions;
- Monitor the repair and maintenance of all electrical installations;
- Ensure that all in-house repairs and are executed as and when required
- Attend to all maintenance requests specific to electrical matters
- Monitor on-site spares materials and inventory for the electrical unit with the Maintenance Services department
- Ensure that all activities are performed in compliance with the University’s Occupational, Health & Safety policies and procedures
- Comply with service standards, work instructions, and customers’ requirements
- Ensure proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies
- Report all safety Hazards to the Campus Maintenance Manager
- Ensure that the environment or area of service is in a safe and conducive condition for work
- Understand and comply with standard operating procedures for the department
- Degree or any relevant qualification (NQF 7)
- Four years’ appropriate experience in electrical works, building & civils and maintenance
- Successful completion of an Apprenticeship or industry Trade Certificate
- A valid code 8 drivers’ license
- Good planning, organisational skills, and attention to detail
- Good written and verbal communication skills, coupled with interpersonal, intercultural and assertiveness.
- Ability to prioritise and work under pressure.
- Ability to use own initiative and work independently.
- Ability to lead others in troubleshooting
- The ability to handle conflict situations in a diplomatic manner and have social perceptiveness.
- Basic knowledge of Building Regulations
- Knowledge of health and safety regulations
- Additional training/certification in electrical preferred.
Your application, comprising of a detailed Curriculum Vitae as well as the names and full contact details (including telephone numbers and e-mail addresses) of at least three traceable and credible referees must be uploaded before or on the closing date of the advertised post. Please also attach the following: a copy of your highest academic qualification, proof of registration with professional bodies you might belong to and if applying for an academic position, a list of accredited research output and/ or a portfolio of your creative output.
Enquiries (UJ e-recruitment Portal)
If you have general enquiries regarding the advertised post, please send an e-mail with the subject line being the reference number of the post to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you require technical support / assistance on the UJ e-recruitment website, please contact our service provider PNET on the following contact details: 0861 227337/010 140 3099 or email email@example.com
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.In conjunction to merit on the basis of qualifications, experience and proven achievements the University of Johannesburg is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for persons with disabilities and those individuals from the historically disadvantaged groups. As necessitated by operational requirements the University reserves the right not to make an appointment to positions advertised. If you have not received a response from the University within 8 weeks of the closing date, you should assume that your application has been unsuccessful.