The University of Johannesburg (UJ) is a vibrant and cosmopolitan university, anchored in Africa and driven by a powerful strategy focused on attaining global excellence and stature (GES). With an emphasis on independent thinking, sustainable development and strategic partnerships, UJ is an international university of choice. The University is guided by the Vice-Chancellor’s vision of “Positioning UJ in the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) in the context of the changing social, political and economic fortunes of Africa”.
- Be capable to lecture undergraduate and postgraduate students in Plant Taxonomy and Systematics and other fields if needed.
- Have experience in directing and developing practicals at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels in Plant Taxonomy.
- Be able to develop course material for undergraduate and postgraduate modules required in the Department of of Botany and Plant Biotechnology.
- Must demonstrate a strong commitment to excellence in teaching and productive research and play a leading role in teaching innovation.
- Be actively involved in core activities of the department including, but not limited to, academic administration, research, short-course development, marketing, and community projects.
- Have proven track record for successful funding application
- Have experience in conducting research, publishing in peer-reviewed journals, and delivering conference papers.
- PhD degree specializing in Plant Taxonomy and Systematics
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in lecturing at a Higher Education institution
- Proven lecturing track record at the level of Associate or Full Professor at a Higher Education institution.
- Experience in organizing and managing undergraduate practicals and student assistants or tutors for Plant Taxonomy students.
- Proven record of engagement with the scholarship of teaching, e.g. an abridged teaching evaluation or portfolio.
- Strong commitment to good teaching and research.
- Excellent communication skills in English.
- Experience in post-graduate supervision.
- A good/successful research fundraising track record.
- Proven research track record through publications, talks and invited talks, patents, etc.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
- Good planning, organisational and time management skills.
- Excellent computer literacy skills and experience with the integration of ITC in teaching and learning e.g. Blackboard
- Excellent teaching and motivational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills that supports collaboration with others and working as a team member.
- Analytical thinking.
- Teaching experience at a Higher Education institution.
- A track record of post-graduate research supervision and publication in the relevant field.
- Proven record of engagement with the scholarship of teaching, e.g. teaching evaluation or relevant portfolio.
- Innovative teaching techniques incorporating technology.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability/experience to work with a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to perform research, teaching and administration simultaneously.
- Valid driver’s license and recent regular driving experience.
- Ability to develop new undergraduate and postgraduate modules.
- NRF rating would be a preference.
Your application, comprising of a detailed Curriculum Vitae as well as the names and full contact details (including telephone numbers and e-mail addresses) of at least three traceable and credible referees must be uploaded before or on the closing date of the advertised post. Please also attach the following: a copy of your highest academic qualification, proof of registration with professional bodies you might belong to and if applying for an academic position, a list of accredited research output and/ or a portfolio of your creative output.
Enquiries (UJ e-recruitment Portal)
If you have general enquiries regarding the advertised post, please send an e-mail with the subject line being the reference number of the post to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you require technical support / assistance on the UJ e-recruitment website, please contact our service provider PNET on the following contact details: 0861 227337/010 140 3099 or email email@example.com
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.In conjunction to merit on the basis of qualifications, experience and proven achievements the University of Johannesburg is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for persons with disabilities and those individuals from the historically disadvantaged groups. As necessitated by operational requirements the University reserves the right not to make an appointment to positions advertised. If you have not received a response from the University within 8 weeks of the closing date, you should assume that your application has been unsuccessful.