The University of Johannesburg (UJ) is a vibrant and cosmopolitan university anchored in Africa and intent on global excellence and stature. With an emphasis on independent thinking, sustainable development and multiple partnerships, UJ is an international university of choice.
- Conduct extensive activities to support and promote fourth industrial revolution initiatives;
- Teaching and administration responsibilities;
- Multidisciplinary teaching activities through collaboration with other faculties;
- Postgraduate education;
- Supervision of postgraduate students at masters and doctoral level;
- Develop the postgraduate education – research – innovation nexus, through mentoring of postgraduate students, yielding, through the Technology Transfer Office, to a culture of technology start-ups;
- Supervision and partnership with postdoctoral research fellows;
- Conduct leading research in areas aligned to 4IR producing recognised research outputs (ISI-/IBSS-listed journals, book chapters, books);
- Advance the discipline through community engagement and active participation in voluntary associations / professional societies;
- The Vice-Dean Research, Innovation and Internationalisation is primarily responsible for FEBE research and its postgraduate portfolio, the internationalisation thereof, as well as the transfer of knowledge into the undergraduate domain in collaboration with the Vice Dean: Teaching and Learning. The portfolio includes PG Diplomas, Honours, Masters and Doctoral programmes.
- FEBE Vice-Deans function in accordance with powers and responsibilities delegated by the Executive Dean according their Performance Agreements. These delegations are grounded on the Dean’s consultation with the FEBE Leadership Team to ensure that Vice Deans’ portfolios cover the FEBE Strategic Plan.
- Vice-Deans fulfil duties and responsibilities within FEBE and do not fulfil executive functions external to FEBE. The Vice-Dean may from time to time represent the Executive Dean.
- PhD and experience in areas aligned to the fourth industrial revolution e.g. Data Analytics, Artificial Intelligence, Cloud Computing, product development etc.
- At least five years’ experience in the academic environment.
- Registered professional engineer or eligibility for registration as a professional engineer with the Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA).
- Researchers who are rated by the National Research Foundation (South Africa) or substantially at the level of researchers who are unequivocally recognised by their peers as leading international scholars in their field for the high quality and impact of their recent research outputs.
- Strong commitment to teaching, research and innovation;
- Noteworthy career in industry or academic institution;
- Strong interpersonal relationships;
- Analytical thinking;
- Strong academic character;
- Demonstrated leadership skills;
- Excellent communication skills;
Your application, comprising of a detailed Curriculum Vitae as well as the names and full contact details (including telephone numbers and e-mail addresses) of at least three traceable and credible referees must be uploaded before or on the closing date of the advertised post. Please also attach the following: a copy of your highest academic qualification, proof of registration with professional bodies you might belong to and if applying for an academic position, a list of accredited research output and/ or a portfolio of your creative output.
Enquiries (UJ e-recruitment Portal)
If you have general enquiries regarding the advertised post, please send an e-mail with the subject line being the reference number of the post to email@example.com
If you require technical support / assistance on the UJ e-recruitment website, please contact our service provider PNET on the following contact details: 0861 227337/010 140 3099 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.In conjunction to merit on the basis of qualifications, experience and proven achievements the University of Johannesburg is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for persons with disabilities and those individuals from the historically disadvantaged groups. As necessitated by operational requirements the University reserves the right not to make an appointment to positions advertised. If you have not received a response from the University within 8 weeks of the closing date, you should assume that your application has been unsuccessful.