The University of Johannesburg (UJ) is a vibrant and cosmopolitan university, anchored in Africa and driven by a powerful strategy focused on attaining global excellence and stature (GES). With an emphasis on independent thinking, sustainable development and strategic partnerships, UJ is an international university of choice. The University is guided by the Vice-Chancellor’s vision of “Positioning UJ in the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) in the context of the changing social, political and economic fortunes of Africa”.
The Council of the University of Johannesburg has declared the University as a mandatory vaccination site as per the applicable policy ((https://www.uj.ac.za/covid-19/). All applications and offers of employment is dependent upon compliance with the said policy.
- Lecturing, coordinating, assessing, and tutoring large undergraduate (departmental/service) and postgraduate modules.
- Research and publish in any field that articulates well with the existing research interests of the department.
- Contributing to departmental outreach, including community engagement programmes and internationalisation initiatives.
- Perform other administrative duties as determined by Head of Department, e.g., marketing departmental programmes, coordinating portfolios and programmes, aiding preparation for SACPLAN accreditation, oversee archiving of teaching and module files, etc.
- PhD in Urban and Regional Planning or closely related (NQF 10 or equivalent).
- A minimum of seven - ten years teaching experience at a tertiary institution.
- Evidence of at least fifteen accredited journal articles and book chapters.
- Evidence of at least five Masters and Doctoral students supervised to graduation.
- Registration with SACPLAN as a Professional Planner.
- Evidence of fund raising for research purposes.
- Technology savvy and ability to work with ArcGIS, Mat LAB, Revit, MS Office (MS Word and Excel) software packages.
- Sharp and robust high level of communication skills.
- Sound knowledge in planning legislative and policy frameworks.
- Self-motivated with leadership skills, interpersonal relations, and effective organisational skills.
- Demonstrate sound work ethics and punctuality.
- Recent lecturing experience at Honours and Masters levels would be highly beneficial.
- Highly technical with proven practical experience.
- Proven research capabilities and specialisation that articulates well with the existing interest of the department.
- Teaching and research experience in areas related to GIS; environment management, land use planning; smart cities; mobility and transportation; and landscape change would be highly beneficial.
- Evidence of developing international academic partnerships, which may include activities such as research collaboration, academic exchange, community engagement, etc.
- Mentorship and professional development experience.
- Experience in leading research groups / centres.
- Evidence of leadership and administration experience.
- Evidence of attracting research funds.
- Student supervisory experience.
- Professional registration with SACPLAN.
Your application, comprising of a detailed Curriculum Vitae as well as the names and full contact details (including telephone numbers and e-mail addresses) of at least three traceable and credible referees must be uploaded before or on the closing date of the advertised post. Please also attach the following: a copy of your highest academic qualification, proof of registration with professional bodies you might belong to and if applying for an academic position, a list of accredited research output and/ or a portfolio of your creative output.
Enquiries (UJ e-recruitment Portal)
If you have general enquiries regarding the advertised post, please send an e-mail with the subject line being the reference number of the post to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you require technical support / assistance on the UJ e-recruitment website, please contact our service provider PNET on the following contact details: 0861 227337/010 140 3099 or email email@example.com
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.In conjunction to merit on the basis of qualifications, experience and proven achievements the University of Johannesburg is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for persons with disabilities and those individuals from the historically disadvantaged groups. As necessitated by operational requirements the University reserves the right not to make an appointment to positions advertised. If you have not received a response from the University within 8 weeks of the closing date, you should assume that your application has been unsuccessful.