The University of Johannesburg (UJ) is a vibrant and cosmopolitan university, anchored in Africa and driven by a powerful strategy focused on attaining global excellence and stature. With an emphasis on independent thinking, sustainable development, and strategic partnerships, UJ is an international university of choice. The University is guided by the Principal and Vice-Chancellor's vision of "positioning UJ in the fourth industrial revolution (4IR) within the context of the changing social, political and economic fortunes of Africa."
- Determine, articulate, implement and lead CBE based strategic initiatives to enhance the UJ's reputation and performance in accordance with its 2025 Strategic Objectives, viz. enhancing Global Excellence and Stature (GES) in the context of decolonisation, 4IR and the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
- Ensure the effective and efficient delivery of the College's academic programmes across academic departments and disciplines.
- Develop and deepen excellence and innovation in learning and teaching, including online/blended learning pedagogy, the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning and Academic Citizenship and Leadership.
- Promote and advance excellence in research and innovation - both in quality and quantity.
- Implement policies and develop resources that promote and enhance the research as well as learning and teaching capacity and capabilities of the CBE, including raising funds in support of research and learning and teaching, and Continuous Education.
- Oversee an effective, competitive, and responsive Programme Qualification Mix, including joint programmes with international peer universities.
- Ensure the highest level of CBE governance, administration and systems functioning, including CBE enrolment planning, management of the students' academic life cycle and risk management.
- Develop and implement relevant online, inbound/outbound/virtual and/or joint academic programmes.
- Effectively manage academic, administrative, and professional support staff, including staff recruitment, development and retention.
- Ensure effective and efficient management of the College's research centres, finances, subsidies, and other resources.
- Promote the reputation and standing of the CBE in local, national, regional, and global context.
- Strengthen relationships with the public and private sectors, and with professional societies/councils, departments of education, and academic partners in South Africa and internationally.
- Develop and maintain meaningful relationships between the CBE's alumni and their alma mater.
- Substantial academic stature commensurate with an appointment at Professional level, with a PhD or equivalent qualification.
- An excellent academic reputation evidenced by a sustained record of research output.
- Excellent strategic leadership skills and knowledge, insight, and vision regarding the teaching profession, nationally and internationally.
- Proven resource, strategic and people management skills, along with the ability to develop and maintain collaborative networks.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent conflict management and administrative skills.
- Exceptional ability and resilience to function under pressure.
- Unquestionable professional integrity and stature.
- Where applicable professional registration with a relevant South African statutory body.
- Rating with the National Research Foundation (NRF) in South Africa or the potential for rating within a one/two-year period.
Your application, comprising of a detailed Curriculum Vitae as well as the names and full contact details (including telephone numbers and e-mail addresses) of at least three traceable and credible referees must be uploaded before or on the closing date of the advertised post. Please also attach the following: a copy of your highest academic qualification, proof of registration with professional bodies you might belong to and if applying for an academic position, a list of accredited research output and/ or a portfolio of your creative output.
Enquiries (UJ e-recruitment Portal)
If you have general enquiries regarding the advertised post, please send an e-mail with the subject line being the reference number of the post to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you require technical support / assistance on the UJ e-recruitment website, please contact our service provider PNET on the following contact details: 0861 227337/010 140 3099 or email email@example.com
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.In conjunction to merit on the basis of qualifications, experience and proven achievements the University of Johannesburg is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for persons with disabilities and those individuals from the historically disadvantaged groups. As necessitated by operational requirements the University reserves the right not to make an appointment to positions advertised. If you have not received a response from the University within 8 weeks of the closing date, you should assume that your application has been unsuccessful.