The University of Johannesburg (UJ) is a vibrant and cosmopolitan university, anchored in Africa and driven by a powerful strategy focused on attaining global excellence and stature (GES). With an emphasis on independent thinking, sustainable development and strategic partnerships, UJ is an international university of choice. The University is guided by the Vice-Chancellor’s vision of “Positioning UJ in the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) in the context of the changing social, political and economic fortunes of Africa”.
The Council of the University of Johannesburg has declared the University as a mandatory vaccination site as per the applicable policy ((https://www.uj.ac.za/covid-19/). All applications and offers of employment is dependent upon compliance with the said policy.
- In consultation with brand, marketing and communication, develop a social media strategy across UJ social media channels that aligns with the UJ strategic indicators and brand marketing objectives of the university.
- Manage the implementation of this content strategy across all social media channels, including Facebook, Google, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn.
- Manage daily contingency and crisis communications for social media according to the crisis communication strategy to protect the UJ brand. At times social media or related communication occurs over public holidays – some messaging can be pre-programmed and scheduled, but availability is required for messaging aligned to both the pros and cons of social media.
- Ensure that all social media communication adheres to the social media policy, brand policy and marketing look and feel across all platforms.
- Identify potential reputation-damaging conversations and respond accordingly.
- Serve as a spokesperson on key corporate issues in the social media. Identify other spokespeople as needed.
- Aligned to international trends of digital marketing, maintain and update the social media policy as per governance stipulations, and ensure compliance with the policy across the institution.
- Build positive relationships with internal stakeholders, e.g. academic domains and divisional marketers, marketing and brand management, strategic communications and UJ leadership, to develop an editorial calendar that grows strategy-aligned engagement across all social channels.
- Leveraging existing 4IR tools, including artificial intelligence tools, develop a reach that carries the UJ messaging in an exponential way.
- Provide training, including using 4IR techniques, to academic domains and divisions across UJ to ensure alignment with social media strategic objectives and preparedness for proactive or reactive social media engagement.
- Innovatively manage the social media team and functions on a day-to-day basis, ensuring social media support of all UJ strategic initiatives.
- Ensure comprehensive social media monthly reporting and performance metrics to inform activities.
- Stay abreast of all technical and content developments and advances in the social media world to bring fresh ideas and innovative developments. Oversee select marketing projects as per annual planning.
- Manage daily contingency and crisis communications for social media according to the crisis communication strategy to protect the UJ brand. At times social media or related communication.
- Manage the preparation and implementation of the high-level corporate event annual programme, including UJ graduations.
- Manage the event management team and functions on a day-to-day basis, ensuring alignment with UJ strategic initiatives.
- Stay abreast of all developments and advances in the events portfolio to bring fresh ideas and innovative developments to this portfolio.
- Bachelor’s Degree/ B. Tech or any relevant qualification (NQF 7), preferably in Marketing, Digital Marketing, Public Relations, Communications, Marketing Communication or equivalent.
- At least Five (5) years working experience in a marketing, communication and/or public relations environment.
- Minimum of Three (3) years of specific social media experience with proven social media monitoring and report writing and analysis skills and experience.
- At least Two (2) years’ experience in team management
- The candidate will need a valid driver’s license and will be required to work outside of office hours, including public holidays, as and when necessary.
- A team player with excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills
- Given that social media will engage an international audience, excellent command of the English language
- Must be self-motivated and be able to complete job assignments without direct supervision and on dealines
- Strong relationship-building and consulting skills with the ability to liaise with internal and external stakeholders
- Analytical thinking
- Effective leadership and people management
- Proven skills in time management and project management
- Highly developed problem-solving skills
- The ability to perform well under pressure
- Relevant marketing/social media experience at a Higher Education Institution
Your application, comprising of a detailed Curriculum Vitae as well as the names and full contact details (including telephone numbers and e-mail addresses) of at least three traceable and credible referees must be uploaded before or on the closing date of the advertised post. Please also attach the following: a copy of your highest academic qualification, proof of registration with professional bodies you might belong to and if applying for an academic position, a list of accredited research output and/ or a portfolio of your creative output.
Enquiries (UJ e-recruitment Portal)
If you have general enquiries regarding the advertised post, please send an e-mail with the subject line being the reference number of the post to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you require technical support / assistance on the UJ e-recruitment website, please contact our service provider PNET on the following contact details: 0861 227337/010 140 3099 or email email@example.com
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.In conjunction to merit on the basis of qualifications, experience and proven achievements the University of Johannesburg is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for persons with disabilities and those individuals from the historically disadvantaged groups. As necessitated by operational requirements the University reserves the right not to make an appointment to positions advertised. If you have not received a response from the University within 8 weeks of the closing date, you should assume that your application has been unsuccessful.