The University of Johannesburg (UJ) is a vibrant and cosmopolitan university, anchored in Africa and driven by a powerful strategy focused on attaining global excellence and stature (GES). With an emphasis on independent thinking, sustainable development and strategic partnerships, UJ is an international university of choice. The University is guided by the Vice-Chancellor’s vision of “Positioning UJ in the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) in the context of the changing social, political and economic fortunes of Africa”.
The Council of the University of Johannesburg has declared the University as a mandatory vaccination site as per the applicable policy ((https://www.uj.ac.za/covid-19/). All applications and offers of employment is dependent upon compliance with the said policy.
- Ensure high availability of operating systems under their control.
- Manage, maintain and support a solid backup strategy
- Excellent email administration and troubleshooting skills (O365, linux)
- Ensure that a comprehensive DR strategy is in place.
- Ensure OS compliance with security standards in order to minimise UJ’s exposure to risk and unauthorised access.
- Troubleshooting system and server errors
- Recommend changes to improve and implement new systems and determine hardware or software requirements related to such changes.
- Develop and maintain OS specific documentation and change management controls in order to facilitate DR and act as a knowledge resource for other staff.
- Maintain, support, and troubleshoot UJ Radius servers
- Ensure management and support of Active Directory processes and administration
- Implement, support and maintain Microsoft Identity Management Application
- Reviewing system error logs and user-reported errors
- Manage access to systems
- Troubleshooting email problems
- Establish and maintain good relationships with team members and clients.
- Contract renewal and tender processes for existing software and hardware and new implementations
- Be situated at the Auckland Park Kingsway Campus, but not excluded from supporting all campuses
- Fulfil technical and administrative roles in the Department
- Focus on service delivery by assessing current windows server environment and make recommendations for improvement
- Support, maintain and monitor Windows servers (physical and virtual)
- Manage, maintain and support on mailing lists (Linux and Rocketseed)
- Report on UJ web statistics
- Help determine and recommend web solutions
- Innovate and enhance
- Collaborate and benchmark
- Administer and lead projects
- Use tools to enhance and streamline web experience
- Degree or any relevant qualification (NQF 7)
- Professional certification with 3 to 5 years’ job-related experience
- Tertiary qualification in information systems, computer science or equivalent.
- At least 3 years’ work experience as a Windows Administrator.
- Detailed knowledge of Windows server setup, deployment, and maintenance.
- At least 2 years’ experience in creating scripts
- Experience with databases, patch management, and networks including LAN and WAN.
- At least 3 years’ experience with modern operating systems and server platforms.
- At least 2 years’ experience working with Microsoft Azure or AWS cloud services.
- At least 2 years’ experience in working with Microsoft Identity Manager
- At least 2 years’ experience in O365 Administration.
- System Center Virtual Machine Manager
- Relevant Microsoft Qualifications
- Linux skills
- Active Directory
- MS Cloud Technologies
- MS SQL administration
- Email Administration
- Microsoft Identity Management (MIM)
- Server and storage Hardware skills
- POPIA Compliance knowledge
- Cloud services
- Troubleshooting skills
- Ability to explain solutions
- Report Writing
- Strong analytical and in-depth technical skills and knowledge
- Fast paced, but carefully thought-out results
- Must be able to develop new ideas and improvement of old ones
- High standards and high quality of work
- Structured, organised and efficient work expected of self and others
- Excellent customer service skills
- Self-starter, motivated, organised, detail-orientated
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- Work as an individual and in a team
- Good communication skills
Your application, comprising of a detailed Curriculum Vitae as well as the names and full contact details (including telephone numbers and e-mail addresses) of at least three traceable and credible referees must be uploaded before or on the closing date of the advertised post. Please also attach the following: a copy of your highest academic qualification, proof of registration with professional bodies you might belong to and if applying for an academic position, a list of accredited research output and/ or a portfolio of your creative output.
Enquiries (UJ e-recruitment Portal)
If you have general enquiries regarding the advertised post, please send an e-mail with the subject line being the reference number of the post to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you require technical support / assistance on the UJ e-recruitment website, please contact our service provider PNET on the following contact details: 0861 227337/010 140 3099 or email email@example.com
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.In conjunction to merit on the basis of qualifications, experience and proven achievements the University of Johannesburg is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for persons with disabilities and those individuals from the historically disadvantaged groups. As necessitated by operational requirements the University reserves the right not to make an appointment to positions advertised. If you have not received a response from the University within 8 weeks of the closing date, you should assume that your application has been unsuccessful.