- LLD or relevant PhD with senior management experience (at least 10 years) as a legal practitioner (attorney or advocate) in South Africa; or legal practitioner (attorney/advocate) with a relevant Masters qualification and at least 15 years of senior management experience in higher education in South Africa.
- Membership in good standing or eligible to become a member of the Legal Practice Council of South Africa.
- Previous experience in Public Law.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent conflict management and administrative skills, with established and valuable national and international networks.
- The capacity for strategic leadership and operational excellence within the portfolio.
- Established and valuable international networks.
- The ability to initiate and manage transformation and change effectively.
- Proven resource, strategic and people management skills, with exceptional ability and resilience to function under pressure.
- Exemplary personal qualities of integrity, sound judgement, energy, passion and constructive interpersonal skills.
- An understanding of the Fourth Industrial Revolution, and its impact on higher education and society.
- Understanding and commitment to the UJ’s values and the ability to be a credible and effective exponent of these values.
- Where applicable, professional registration with a relevant South African statutory body.
- Understanding of the higher education legal framework.
Terms of appointment:
The position of University General Counsel is a 5-year contract appointment, with an executive-level remuneration and benefits package commensurate with experience and qualifications. The appointment may be renewed for a further term of office subject to performance.
The normal retirement age for members of the Executive Leadership Group is 65. Consideration will be given to candidates who would be able to serve for a 5-year term.
To apply, please send a detailed Curriculum Vitae and a letter of motivation outlining a possible vision and strategic direction for the position you are applying for. The names and full contact details (including telephone numbers and e-mail addresses) of at least 3 traceable and credible referees, should accompany applications.
Applications should be marked "Confidential" and addressed to the Executive Director: Human Resources, University of Johannesburg, PO Box 524, Auckland Park 2006 or e-mailed to email@example.com
Enquiries: Ms Tokoza Kwinana, email: firstname.lastname@example.org