The University of Johannesburg (UJ) is a vibrant and cosmopolitan university, anchored in Africa and driven by a powerful strategy focused on attaining global excellence and stature (GES). With an emphasis on independent thinking, sustainable development and strategic partnerships, UJ is an international university of choice. The University is guided by the Vice-Chancellor’s vision of “Positioning UJ in the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) in the context of the changing social, political and economic fortunes of Africa”.
The Council of the University of Johannesburg has declared the University as a mandatory vaccination site as per the applicable policy ((https://www.uj.ac.za/covid-19/). All applications and offers of employment is dependent upon compliance with the said policy.
- Ensure compliance to the UJ Information Security and ICT governance framework, including maintaining related policies, standards, procedures and guidelines.
- Conduct cybersecurity vulnerability scans and risk assessments on a regular basis.
- Assist with investigations and coordinating the resolution of security incidents.
- Assist with cybersecurity and ICT governance related audits and third-party penetration tests.
- Respond to internal and external audit findings related to cybersecurity and ICT governance
- Integrate information security throughout the solutions or system life cycle
- Deploy, support, maintain and monitor various cloud-based and on-prem information security solutions
- Troubleshoot and resolve information security related incidents.
- Prepare relevant information security reports and documentation.
- Analyze existing security systems and make recommendations for changes or improvements.
- Evaluate and recommend new information security technologies and countermeasures against threats to information or privacy and developing security reports and dashboards.
- Ensure effective staff training programs are in place to increase security awareness across the Company
- Communicate the system status and keep users informed of downtime or changes to the system.
- Relevant Information Technology Qualification (NQF Level 7). (B-Tech or Degree)
- 3 - 6 years of experience in Information Security field.
- Relevant Security Courses is an advantage.
- Security , SSCP, CEH, CISM, CISSP or similar information security professional certifications
- Working experience in the Higher Education sector
- Good understanding of complex IT systems and stay up to date with the latest security standards, systems and protocols, as well as best practice security products.
- Excellent knowledge of cloud technologies, information security technology such as firewalls, intrusion detection systems (IDS), data leakage protection (DLP), access management, anti-malware, and SIEM technologies.
- Knowledge of various Information security domains
- Information Security Management (3 Years)
- Working in the IT Field (5 Years)
- Dealing with a diverse client base
- Supervise and Direct IT personnel
- Endpoint Protection and management
- Patch management and vulnerability assessment
- ICT Governance frameworks and implementation
- ITIL Knowledge
- Working knowledge of Internet technologies including routers and switches
- Working knowledge of Audio Visual and End-User Computer Technologies
- Working knowledge of Enterprise Systems and IT Infrastructure
- Working knowledge of Qualys, Cofense,
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of current cyber security threat landscape, risks and protocols
- Willingness to work after-hours when necessary
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to see the bigger picture
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills – both verbal and written.
- Ability to effectively document solutions, process and procedure.
- Demonstrated ability to work in teams with a collaborative interpersonal style.
- Strong problem-solving ability/logical thinker..
- Pay attention to detail and solution orientated.
- Strong desire to learn and deploy new security technologies and processes.
- Complete own training and development objectives as per agreed timelines in the personal development plan.
- Analysing and optimizing existing security problem.
- Ability to understand security requirements.
- Self-confident and assertive.
- Able to multi-task and able to cope under pressure.
- Must be organised and able to prioritize duties and responsibilities
- Working together:- Demonstrates and Proactively enables and encourages teamwork.
- Communication & influencing:- Proactively builds relationships and generates effective discussion and mutual support for plans and ideas.
- Managing Knowledge:- Proactively seeks out new knowledge sources Uses and shares knowledge effectively.
- Striving for excellence:- Sets and measures challenging objectives for self and others. Gives evidence-based feedback that helps others to excel.
- Managing Resources:- Finds creative and innovative ways to allocate and utilize resources.
- Thinking Strategically:- Decisive, Takes a big picture view, Coaches others to consider long-term impact, and to consult within and beyond ICS.
- Delivering Results:- Plans and manages appropriately; holds self and team accountable for achieving goals.
- Critical Thinking:- The ability to think clearly and rationally about what to do, including the ability to engage in reflective and independent thinking.
- Service and Task Orientated:- The ability and desire to anticipate, recognize and meet others' needs focusing on the completion of particular tasks as a measure of success.
Your application, comprising of a detailed Curriculum Vitae as well as the names and full contact details (including telephone numbers and e-mail addresses) of at least three traceable and credible referees must be uploaded before or on the closing date of the advertised post. Please also attach the following: a copy of your highest academic qualification, proof of registration with professional bodies you might belong to and if applying for an academic position, a list of accredited research output and/ or a portfolio of your creative output.
Enquiries (UJ e-recruitment Portal)
If you have general enquiries regarding the advertised post, please send an e-mail with the subject line being the reference number of the post to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you require technical support / assistance on the UJ e-recruitment website, please contact our service provider PNET on the following contact details: 0861 227337/010 140 3099 or email email@example.com
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.In conjunction to merit on the basis of qualifications, experience and proven achievements the University of Johannesburg is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for persons with disabilities and those individuals from the historically disadvantaged groups. As necessitated by operational requirements the University reserves the right not to make an appointment to positions advertised. If you have not received a response from the University within 8 weeks of the closing date, you should assume that your application has been unsuccessful.