The University of Johannesburg (UJ) is a vibrant and cosmopolitan university, anchored in Africa and driven by a powerful strategy focused on attaining global excellence and stature (GES). With an emphasis on independent thinking, sustainable development and strategic partnerships, UJ is an international university of choice. The University is guided by the Vice-Chancellor’s vision of “Positioning UJ in the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) in the context of the changing social, political and economic fortunes of Africa”.
The Council of the University of Johannesburg has declared the University as a mandatory vaccination site as per the applicable policy ((https://www.uj.ac.za/covid-19/). All applications and offers of employment is dependent upon compliance with the said policy.
- Receives, undertake and complete job cards.
- Selects materials and have hardware and make time and materials estimates.
- Maintains accurate records on materials and labour used
- Maintains inventory of tools. equipment, and materials
- Inspects jobs upon completion and ensure areas are always kept clean
- Works with building supervisors to complete projects at hand.
- Detects need repairs on buildings, grounds, and equipment following established inspection procedures.
- Timeously responds to emergency calls as needed.
- Perform general construction, building and metal work
- Perform boiler making & welding work
- Perform structural steel and metal work
- Performs preventative maintenance on tools and equipment.
- Operates tools and equipment according to the UJ’s Occupational Health and Safety regulations.
- Ensures that all equipment and tools are kept safe and in good conditions.
- Follows established safety procedures and techniques to perform duties including lifting, climbing, etc.
- Corrects any unsafe conditions in the work area and report any conditions that can only be resolved by the supervisor.
- Conduct inspections for identification of defects etc for reactive maintenance.
- Assists in other areas of the maintenance department as and when required
- Supports during absences or shortage of staff or performs duties of associated with light construction project
- Identify & timeously report prospective boiler making jobs to be undertaken by the university
- Performs duties outside normal area of expertise to meet the goals of the department
- Trade Test Certificate (Boilermaker)
- NQF Level 4 Qualification (Matric or equivalent)
- Three to Five years’ appropriate experience in boilermaking works.
- A Valid Driver’s License
- Knowledge and experience of boilermaking & welding repairs, maintenance, and installation
- Knowledge of boilermaking codes and standards
- Knowledge of University rules, regulations, and policies
- Knowledge of Occupational Health & Safety Regulations
- High attention to detail
- Ability to perform under pressure and independent
- Active listening and interpersonal skills
- Excellent time management and organisational skills
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Critical and analytical skills
- Ability to assess and mitigate risks
- Collegial and emotionally intelligent
- Prior experience in the Higher Education Institution
Your application, comprising of a detailed Curriculum Vitae as well as the names and full contact details (including telephone numbers and e-mail addresses) of at least three traceable and credible referees must be uploaded before or on the closing date of the advertised post. Please also attach the following: a copy of your highest academic qualification, proof of registration with professional bodies you might belong to and if applying for an academic position, a list of accredited research output and/ or a portfolio of your creative output.
Enquiries (UJ e-recruitment Portal)
If you have general enquiries regarding the advertised post, please send an e-mail with the subject line being the reference number of the post to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you require technical support / assistance on the UJ e-recruitment website, please contact our service provider PNET on the following contact details: 0861 227337/010 140 3099 or email email@example.com
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.In conjunction to merit on the basis of qualifications, experience and proven achievements the University of Johannesburg is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for persons with disabilities and those individuals from the historically disadvantaged groups. As necessitated by operational requirements the University reserves the right not to make an appointment to positions advertised. If you have not received a response from the University within 8 weeks of the closing date, you should assume that your application has been unsuccessful.