The University of Johannesburg (UJ) is a vibrant and cosmopolitan university, anchored in Africa and driven by a powerful strategy focused on attaining global excellence and stature (GES). With an emphasis on independent thinking, sustainable development and strategic partnerships, UJ is an international university of choice. The University is guided by the Vice-Chancellor’s vision of “Positioning UJ in the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) in the context of the changing social, political and economic fortunes of Africa”.
The Council of the University of Johannesburg has declared the University as a mandatory vaccination site as per the applicable policy ((https://www.uj.ac.za/covid-19/). All applications and offers of employment is dependent upon compliance with the said policy.
- Manages the team of in-house and outsourced Security Officers and understand the unique role that security services play in a complex and diverse environment;
- Manages and reviews security operation programs to ensure a safe and secure environment for employees, students, visitors and others;
- Prepares trend reports and implements plans to ensures the safety and security of all persons and premises of the University
- Continuously improve and optimise the operations and resources of the Department and University
- Implement a proper traffic management system to ensure that traffic and parking management policies are adhered to
- Enforce and monitor compliance with policies, procedures & legislation. Report deviations and implement necessary corrective actions or controls
- Manage services and suppliers in accordance with SLA’s
- Analyses statistical data and reports and prepare risk assessments and mitigation plans accordingly
- Participate in updates to improve security policies, processes, and practices, and recommend changes to management;
- Participating in departmental audits and resolving all relevant audit findings
- Participating in relevant forums and meetings
- Financial management, planning and control of allocated budgets
- Builds effective working relationships throughout the campus to ensure the participation of the university community in the division’s crime prevention efforts;
- Serves as the liaison with campus leadership, students, staff and external agencies;
- Directs preparation and distribution of written and verbal information to inform managers, employees and other of security policies, procedures and practices;
- Represents the organisation in formal meetings with outside organisations on matters dealing with security and protection services.
- Motivates, develops, and directs people as they work, and identifying the right talent within the team
- Manages the design and development of specialised training to guide Security Officers and others through security decisions and actions
- Plans and manages the procurement and logistics of the campus, to ensure that team has all necessary resources to work effectively
- Demonstrate the values of the university and lead the team to do the same
- Build and maintain a culture of competence, congruence, compliance, customer focus and accountability within the team
- Degree or any relevant qualification (NQF 7), with 2 to 3 years’ job-related experience, or Professional certification with 3 to 5 years’ job-related experience, or
- Professional certification with 3 to 5 years’ job-related experience, or
- Grade 12 (NQF 4) with 8 to 10 years’ job-related experience
- Have a valid driver’s licence
- PSIRA Grade A or be eligible for registration
- Be fully conversant with MS Office packages
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, precedents, and strategies to promote effective security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and instructions
- Knowledge of legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations and external agency rules
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services
- Knowledge of legislation, principles and processes relating to financial management
- Investigative and analytical techniques, procedures and requirements
- Understands main business drivers in order to impact on decision making and get things done.
- Decision-making process includes the consideration of business implications. When making decisions, considers the business implications. Considers the bottom line. Understands the market and is aware of competitors' activities. Efforts are aligned with the organisation's strategic goals.
- The extent to which an individual is able to recognise and analyse a problem and or a difficult situation and develop an appropriate and results oriented course of action.
- Considers the components of a problem or issue as they pertain to own work and/or area of responsibility. Seeks additional information about a situation other than what has been given and consults available resources. Demonstrates ability to break down problems into simple lists of tasks or activities.
- The confidence and ability to take timely and appropriate decisions.
- Acts promptly to address volatile situations, taking quickly those decisions that need to be taken. Assesses available information to reach a clear view of key options and selects the best option at the time. Consults with superiors when necessary.
- Ability to organise, prioritise and, where applicable, delegate work activities to efficiently accomplish tasks and meet objectives.
- Uses time management procedures effectively. Can exercise independent judgement regarding all planning and organising issues. Plans and manages multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Understands the protection and security service environment within legislative parameters.
- Knowledge of applicable rules, regulations, policies, and procedures. Knowledge of parameters of jurisdiction and basic public safety operations. Understands basic protective and security practices. Recognises and reports situations that may violate the policies, rules and regulations.
- Applies knowledge and understanding the principles of safety and security management within the context of South African legislative and industry regulatory framework.
- Applies understanding the principles of safety and security management. Understanding of regulatory framework surrounding the management of safety and security practices, processes and procedures.
- Commitment to continuous learning is the commitment to think about current and future development needs.
- Has an interest in own field of expertise. Reads information given directly to him or her. Talks to others directly involved about new approaches, tools, methods and/or technologies. Wants to know more about how things are done.
- Shows an ability and willingness to align own behaviour with the needs, priorities, and goals of UJ
- Expresses positive feelings of commitment to the organisation. Is proud to be part of the organisation. Respects the ways things are done in the organisation and does what is expected.
- Understands and respects the customs and norms of other cultures and countries, and modifies own behaviour so as not to violate those norms.
- Finds other cultures interesting and likes to encounter or learn about them and their backgrounds.
- Must be able to display and build the highest standards of ethical and moral conduct in order to promote confidence and trust in the organisation.
- Realises the implications of not speaking and acting with integrity, but needs guidance in implementing these principles. Follows through on commitments under supervision. Follows the rules and regulations of the organisation.
- Takes a long-term view and builds a shared vision with others; acts as a catalyst for organisational change. Influences others to translate vision into action.
- Meets with staff to address concerns about new organisational structure. Develops and generates support for work group vision.
- Knowledge of own organisations, policies, procedures, services, products and business operating model.
- Understands organisational culture and practices. Decisions reflect organisational awareness. Has the ability to use both formal and informal channels to achieve results. Builds the necessary alliances across the organisation.
- Interacts with others in a respectful and sensitive manner, with appreciation for diverse opinions and views.
- Demonstrates receptiveness to diverse thoughts and alternative perspectives by valuing input from all equally. Demonstrates sensitivity for cultural and religious differences when interacting with others. Willingly works with individuals of all races, nationalities, cultures, disabilities, ages, and genders.
- Previous senior managerial experience in a campus security environment
- Qualification in Security Management, Law, Risk Management and Emergency or Disaster Management
- Preferably, five years of related management experience in the law enforcement, higher education security, government or corporate environment.
Your application, comprising of a detailed Curriculum Vitae as well as the names and full contact details (including telephone numbers and e-mail addresses) of at least three traceable and credible referees must be uploaded before or on the closing date of the advertised post. Please also attach the following: a copy of your highest academic qualification, proof of registration with professional bodies you might belong to and if applying for an academic position, a list of accredited research output and/ or a portfolio of your creative output.
Enquiries (UJ e-recruitment Portal)
If you have general enquiries regarding the advertised post, please send an e-mail with the subject line being the reference number of the post to email@example.com
If you require technical support / assistance on the UJ e-recruitment website, please contact our service provider PNET on the following contact details: 0861 227337/010 140 3099 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates may be subjected to appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments.In conjunction to merit on the basis of qualifications, experience and proven achievements the University of Johannesburg is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for persons with disabilities and those individuals from the historically disadvantaged groups. As necessitated by operational requirements the University reserves the right not to make an appointment to positions advertised. If you have not received a response from the University within 8 weeks of the closing date, you should assume that your application has been unsuccessful.